Translate

Tuesday 1 April 2014

Adalar


April 1st

Today was the first April 1st my father did not pull any tricks on me. Although I had been weary for a few days prior to, figuring that he would try and pull something. To my own surprise nothing. Oh well I pulled a joke of my own. I had Jeremy going that we were going to get deported because of the on going ‘turmoil’ in Turkey, what with the elections and the ongoing corruption allegations against the government, it was a believable tale.  Ahahaha I had a laugh. Unfortunately my midterm will have the last laugh at me. To brighten my mood an adventure was needed. So Jeremy and I took the minibus to Bostanci, not knowing where we would go from there – take the metro to Europe? Kadikoy? We walked from the Bostanci metro to the Sea of Marmara, about 10 minute walk. Its not the prettiest area of the city; two major highways to cross, a stinky river, boring architecture and typical shops.

           Upon reaching the waterfront the shore is covered in ferries, half of which we did not know where they would go. We politely asked an attendant if that particular ferry went to the Prince’s Islands. He said ‘yes,’ and we were hurriedly rushed upon the ferry and it immediately took off. The ferry was small, two levels of seating, a concession stand where you could purchase chocolates and tea. We chose a spot outside close to the bow to admire the view of the approaching Islands and the distancing city.  This spot happened to be next to the control room (?) where you could look in and see the captain smoking a cigarette and steering the boat. I want his job. The ferry stopped at two Islands, we got off at the second, the bigger one. After double checking the ferry times, so as not to get stuck on the island with no way home, we rented two mountain bikes. They were not top quality and I had to get my hands a little greasy adjusting the chain twice, but It was nice to feel some wind and fresh air – kind of a rarity in a big city. The really cool thing about Adalar is the lack of cars on the Island. There are very few, instead there are horse carriages and bikes that you can rent. Next time we want to find some mopeds to rent.

Cruising through the streets of Adalar you will see a lot of tourist shops and restaurants, the further from the ferry terminals you get the more nice houses you see. Correction they are Palaces compared to the rest of the apartment buildings in Istanbul. I should also mention the trees, they are quite large and they grow in the middle of the roads. Luckily I didn’t run into any with my bike. It is quite beautiful the Island, but also rank with the smell of horse shit. It is also littered with cats and dogs, all of which are friendly and just want a little love.  Unfortunately for me the spontaneousness of the trip did not allow me to dress quite appropriately. Jeans and a winter hat + biking up hills = sore sweaty Lucy. But hey I’m in Turkey! The last hill is always the toughest, and I broke down and walked my bike…actually Jeremy walked my bike and I carried the beer. Half way up the hill we met our first Canadian! Woohoo! Didn’t expect to meet Canadians on a Tuesday in Adalar.

Eventually we made it with sore legs to the top. At the top was an old church – didn’t get any details about it- and a restaurant. I will not lie walking that hill was a challenge but we did it fairly quickly. But the hard work made the beers all the better. After watching the sun and the boats with our shoes off and sipping on efes, we had some lunch – French fries and spider dogs. After which we continued our bike ride around the Island to the other side where we watched the sun set and drank one more beer. The ground beneath us was covered in beer cans, obviously our idea was not so original. The road is narrow and fairly easy going with other bikers cruising and enjoying the view. It really is a nice spot to escape the city for a few hours. You can look off into the Marmara and forget about the closeness of the hectic sprawling city behind you. Almost like home – except cooler because I’m in Turkey. 
The ride down was almost terrifying, the horse carriages were finishing for the day and we had to navigate our way past carriages and horses in the middle of the roads, all going down hill. At the bottom we returned our bikes and paid a mere 10tl (5$CAD) for them. I will most definitely be returning to use my gopro and bike around the Island. It is way too beautiful to describe in a blog. Overall an awesome and cheap thrill.


PS - we're not dating. We just like to do spontaneous stuff on the weekdays  



Jeremy likes to climb on rocks







No comments:

Post a Comment